Sunday, January 15, 2017

I have already begun!

Yesterday, was the official kickoff to my gardening season!  I mixed up some seed starting soil mix tried out my new soil block maker to start some seeds indoors.  I did kale, broccoli, arugula and Swiss Chard. I also direct sowed some mesculin mix in my new mini greenhouse that I built last month.

It has been so unseasonably warm this week, that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to attempt an early spring garden. If it doesn't work, who cares.  It was probably less than a dollar worth of seed and a dollar worth of soil.

The mini greenhouse is being put to the test.  I felt the air inside it yesterday and it was probably 15 degrees warmer than the air outside.  I built it on top of my new 12"x4' wood framed raised bed.  The greenhouse itself is made out of bent 3/4" conduit and 6mil clear plastic.
The soil block maker was my other investment for this year.  I'm not going to do a full product review, but so far it seems to be working.  If you want to see how they work, check out: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/seed-starting-supplies/soil-block-makers/hand-held-20-soil-blocker-9528.html#q=Soil%2Bblock%2Bmaker%2B&lang=en_US&start=1


No comments:

Post a Comment