Thursday, September 15, 2016

Harvesting cucumbers was the main highlight of the day; I picked them before work.  

I only have a couple of cucumber vines, and they started out very slow this year.  I didn't really plant them in the greatest location, but it was the only spot where I had enough room left.  They are in a place that may get about 6or 7 hours of sunlight per day at the peak of summer.  
Another early hindrance may have been the soil.  I planted the seedlings in the dirt as an afterthought because I knew that the location wasn't the greatest, but I figured that I ought to plant them somewhere and not waste these perfectly good plants.

As I said, they started off slowly, but once I top dressed the whole bed with nice compost, they immediately got greener by the next day and within two days, I noticed a new leaf growth.  I have gotten at least two dozen cucumbers this year or maybe more, and like my cherry tomatoes, there is no end in sight.  It was very warm out again today.

Other than that, I didn't get much done today except I made it another "bring your plant to work day".  Today I brought one of my many jade plants that I have cloned.  I also had to make a run to Walmart.  I was glad I did, because potting soil was on clearance and they had a nice organic worm castings potting soil.  I never tried this type of stuff, so we'll see how it does.  Gardening is my way of life, and I have not gotten too stuck in my ways yet, so I will keep trying new things for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment