Friday, September 16, 2016

I had a good chunk of time in the garden today and was able to pick all of these wonderfully ripe cherry tomatoes!  These are my main plants that I had planted from seedlings that I bought from the local garden center.   I also have several more vines of these that I propagated from the side "sucker" branches that grew from these vines.  It was the first time I propagated any vegetable plant cuttings and worked very well. 

The only thing that I would do different next time is take better care of the cuttings.  After I transplanted the cuttings and watered them enough to make them stop wilting I let them grow wild.  If I had taken as good of care of the cuttings as I did the main plants (planting 1 per square foot, pruning sucker branches and properly staking them) I could have easily double led my harvest.  Oh well, there's always next year. 

I'm still waiting to harvest more of my hot peppers because they I want to pick them all and can them at once.  They are way too hot to eat them all fresh and the plants have been bountiful.  The peppers were also purchased at the garden center and I got 6 different types in four-part for a total of 24 pepper plants, all of which were planted using the square foot method.  

I had a few issues with the peppers being mislabeled, but it worked out to be a blessing in disguise.  I thought that I had three types of bell pepper, but one of them was actually a sweet Italian pepper, I don't recall the name.  The other issue was my Habañero peppers came in the 4-pack, but one of the four looks different.  The leaves are lighter in color, the peppers are longer but they still have not ripened. I am assuming that the odd one is a ghost pepper.

I need to take some pictures of the peppers next time I'm out there.

Here is a view of some of the cherry tomato cuttings in a bed with romaine lettuce and peas.  As you can see, the wildly growing vines are very leafy, but they dont really produce enough fruit.




No comments:

Post a Comment